Monday, November 14, 2011

Why Me?

Have you ever asked this question?  We all have at one time or another, when things aren't going our way.  In the past I've commented that every time things seem to be going well, I know there is some problem coming up soon.  It just usually happens that way.  And then I begin to ask, "Why me?"  I'm a good person, right?  I'm trying to live my life according to God, to the best of my abilities, so why is this happening to me?

But my husband set me straight one day.  He said the the question, "Why me?," is legitimate, but with a different focus.  What we should be asking, he said, is "Why am I so blessed, out of a vast number of people in this world who suffer such horrendous things, things we can barely even imagine?"  Why me?

This idea really struck me.  It is so true that many of God's children suffer in this world, and who am I to ask why things, things that are really so trivial compared to what others experience, happen to me?  I now pray that I will remember, no matter how down I am about my situation, that it could be so much worse.  That God has chosen, for whatever reason unknown to me, to bless me, and that my so-called "big problems" are really extremely minute.

To take it one step further, I will stop asking "why me" altogether, and instead just say "Thank you, Lord for the many blessings that I can never hope to deserve or to repay, but I will spend my life trying, by serving You in serving others."

No comments:

Post a Comment